Monday, June 8, 2009

Boston - Bikes not Bombs

Well, the journey has begun. Kind of. Still nailing down some small details like what I'll actually be riding on for 5005 miles, but hopefully that's close to being finalized. And I guess I'll only be riding that new bike for 4957 miles (and decreasing) as I've spent some time here in Boston riding around "outreaching" on my Cannondale - including some with the really big, amazingly organized Charles River Wheelmen bike club. Without the heavy bike and all the luggage/gear, it doesn't quit feel like I've started, but at least I got one neat photo of the R2000 (on some metal sculpture near the Boston waterfront) before hanging 'er up for a few months.
I also spent a beautiful day in Jamaica Plain at the Bikes not Bombs bike-a-thon and Green Roots Festival. BnB is a 25 year old organization that "promotes bicycle technology as a concrete alternative to war and environmental destruction." They've done some amazing work recycling 6,000 bikes annually and using them for all kinds of different projects including the promotion of environmental stewardship in Boston and around the world. So, if you're in the Boston area and have an old bike you're not using, give 'em a call. Unless it's a 56cm touring bike, of course - in that case, call me! ~ Make it a great day!

No comments: