Friday, June 12, 2009

"Full service, baby - $250"

Phooof.

Though I don't actually have my bike yet, things have been crazy. So much to do and only 24 hours in a day. Much of my time these days is spent in front of the laptop trying to find people or groups to speak to and places to stay. A couple lessons learned (or reminded of again): a phone call will get you a lot further than an email (and a face to face conversation will get you a lot further than a phone call) and you never know when that one 'click' will be the perfect outreach opportunity you've been seeking for the past three hours.

After a great few days in Boston, I made my way down to NYC for a Green Drinks event where I met lots of really interesting people. Surprisingly, in New York, one of the fashion capitals of the world, I was the only one wearing a bike jersey at this after work cocktail / networking event. At least the people had no problem figuring out who was there to speak about a bike ride.

Exhausted, yet invigorated by what lay ahead, I found myself on a Peter Pan bus to Boston where I would be picking up my new bike (woohoo!) and beginning my journey. Though barely able to keep my eyes open, I decided to take advantage of the free wireless and get some work done. The woman behind me was doing the same. Though instead of searching for bike events in Boston, she was constantly answering phone calls from prospective 'clients'. I didn't hear everything, but, "full service, baby - $250" and "I'll be at hotel next to the Holiday Inn" was enough to convince me she was not out raising awareness for a charity bike tour. The part I really loved, though, was that she kept telling everyone she was on the train. I guess that's a lot classier than a bus. For me, I can't wait to get on my bike.

2 comments:

Kyle Crum said...

Did you get her number?

Michael Proulx said...

Yes, Kyle. I'll email it to you.