Sunday, July 12, 2009

Back on the bus -& camping in NYC

(My home for the night -cot/tent provided by EcoPioneer- on the East River)

Okay, so I guess I still had one more bus ride in me on this trip. I took a break from outreach in DC to head up to spread the word at the CitySol festival in New York for a couple of days. I learned that it is possible to take your bike on SOME of the buses covering the DC to NYC route. Bolt, yes. Megabus, no. Peter Pan, yes, BUT buying a ticket on Peter Pan does not necessarily mean you'll end up on Peter Pan - they could put you on Greyhound. That is bad, because Greyhound is a no. I almost got screwed on that one.

It was amazing how comfortable it felt arriving in NYC after recently spending a week and a half there on my bike (the "power of the bicycle" has been a recurring theme for me over the past couple months). It did not seem like such an overwhelming city anymore. I got to hang out with 2009 Climate Rider Scott (team Ecopioneer) as well as the good folks at Solar1. Pretty neat, too, to camp in Manhattan right next to the FDR Drive by the East River. A slightly bizarre incident with a gentleman that makes this area his home and some crazy rain helped make it one of my more memorable camping experiences.

No comments: