Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 5 - L&C CG, WA to some parking lot next to the river past Lewiston, ID - 93 miles

After several days of switching back and forth between Washington and Oregon, I have finally made to a new milestone – Idaho!

I got another early start and made good time today while passing several other folks coming from the East. Apparently I’m getting a late start on my trip and most of the people I’ll be running into here at the start will all be nearing the end of their journeys. There is great camaraderie between fellow tourers and its always great to see one - especially those coming from the opposite direction – for they can tell you what you are in for and if there is anything you need to be aware of (ie. No water for many miles, crazy dogs up ahead, etc).

After an internet break at a hotel in Lewiston where I was able to escape the 106 degree temperatures, I rode on to see if I could get in a few extra miles to help lessen the enormity of the following two days as I push to make it to Missoula for a rest day. I made it another 15 miles or so before finding a good spot by the river. After laundry and a bath in the freezing water, I chatted with some local RVers for a while before crashing hard.
("Feel free to hunt." - don't see that much back East)







3 comments:

Petra said...

Hey Michael! I'm following you online, you're making great progress I'm so proud of you! Keep it up, strong hugs from Slovenia
Petra

Anonymous said...

Michael,
Sounds like an amazing journey. Keep up the blogs b/c I am living the dream (vicariously) in DC. Much less bumm pain this way. Looking forward to seeing you in my neighborhood at the end of your tour. Let us know if we can help in anyway, e.g., mail jelly doughnuts to a mid-west camp ground.
Take care,
Marc

Michael Proulx said...

Thanks Petra - hope all is well in Slovenia!

Thanks Marc - tell the girls I'll be around in 5 or 6 weeks - I look forward to seeing you all then!